Google Remarketing, also known as Google Retargeting, is another valuable feature in AdWords. Remarketing can help you stay connected and engaged with potential customers, and ultimately increase your return on investment (ROI).
The Google AdWords Remarketing feature allows you to reach people who have previously visited your site, and show them relevant ads when they visit other websites on the Google Display Network. If someone visited your site but didn’t purchase anything, remarketing would help you reconnect with this prospective customer while they browse other sites. Google Remarketing can help you drive sales, increase registrations, or promote brand awareness.
Setting up conversion tracking is a good idea for effective remarketing. Also known as piggybacking, you can combine conversion tracking with remarketing by tracking conversions based on their cookies, and adding those cookies to an audience (more on audiences next). It works by using the same code (known as the remarketing tag) but has two different functions: to track conversions that come from Google ads, and to collect cookies associated with page visitors.
We use audiences instead if keywords with AdWords remarketing. Audiences, also known as remarketing lists, are groups of people you would like to include or exclude from targeting. For example, you can retarget customers who created a shopping cart but did not complete their transaction, excluding customers who made a purchase. Keep reading to learn how to create this custom combination audience.
- In your Campaigns tab, click on the Shared Library on the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click Audiences.
- On the next page, click Set up remarketing.
- Highlight and copy the code contained in the gray box and paste it at the bottom of the HTML of all pages of your website (place the code before the closing body tag).
- After taking the remainder of the steps in the remarketing set up process, you will find the code to add to your website on the Audiences page.
- Click on the blue tag link under the Tags/Definitions column. Add this code to all pages of your site. The list will then include all of your site visitors. You have now created and implemented your tag.
- On the Audiences page, click New audience.
- Select Remarketing list.
- Select Define a list of site visitors based on the selection below.
- Next to to URL field, make sure the drop-down menu is set to “equals,” and enter “womens” in the URL field to include all URLs on your website that contain this keyword.
You can add targeting combinations, such as topics or keyword contextual targeting, to your remarketing ads. Keyword contextual targeting allows you to choose websites that are relevant to your keyword where you want your ads to appear. For example, if someone on bookit.com visits a page about Cancun, it would be a good idea to show that person a Cancun travel ad. An effective practice PPC Professionals employs is to offer discounts in these remarketing ads in an effort to get the consumer back into the purchase funnel.
YouTube Advertising is also done on the Google Display Network, and helps expose your brand to the hundreds of millions of views the streaming video channel receives.